Types of Bras Insiders Guide
There are so many different types of bras
available today when
that it is hard to keep track of them all.
From pretty and fashion forward
to luxurious silk bridal bras and bustiers and virtually everything in between, there are various everyday and specialty bra styles and
to fit every beautiful figure and occasion.
So, without further ado here is a comprehensive guide of today's most popular types of bras.
- This unique brassiere is the perfect choice for backless and strapless dresses and tops.
Adhesive bras do not have traditional bra straps or bands and derive their support from two adjustable adhesive cups that mold to the breasts.
Some adhesive styles are attached with a front hook.
Look for styles with a silicone adhesive and follow the directions carefully for a comfortable bra fit.
- This low back brassiere is designed to be worn under low back, backless, strapless, halter dresses and clothing styles with a plunging neckline.
backless bra is
light weight molded seamless foam cups with a smooth finish, together with a thin inner line of silicone adhesive to prevent any slippage.
Basic styles with a low or backless bra offer the support of a bustier in both form and fit, as most offer a built in push up bra.
- not as well known as it's sexy cousin the push up bra, the exotic balconette bra is nonetheless just as inviting and sensual.
Often referred to as a balcony bra, this exotic bra has lightly padded underwire cups and wide set bra straps that are similar to demi cup bras. But, that's where the similarities end.
Balconette bras have smaller bra cups that are far more revealing, making them a great choice for romantic evenings and when you want to impress your audience.
- The classic lace and satin bustier
is one of the most popular types of bras
for today's brides.
An ideal choice for strapless and low cut wedding dresses, bridal bustiers are a form fitted one piece bridal undergarment bodice that extends from the bust to the waist.
The strapless bustier provides enhanced cleavage and gently narrows the waist.
For wedding gowns that are clingy or lightweight, look for bridal bustiers that are absolutely smooth with minimal or hidden seams.
Demi Bra -
Demi cup bras,
also known as half cup bras are one of the most popular types of bras available.
These versatile underwire bras look wonderful under a variety of low cut, square necklines, and outfits. A low cut brassiere, the
half cup bra
is designed to expose the top, or demi half of the breast while providing a gentle lift to the bustline.
An alluring demi cup bra provides more coverage than a balconette bra or balcony bra, and less breast coverage than classic
Front Closure Sports Bra - For many women the best sports bra is one that fastens in the front.
A major advantage to this brassiere is the ease and comfort of wear, and the absence of a cumbersome back closure which many women dislike.
Look for sports bras with a solid and soft bra band and supportive wider straps.
Full Figured Bras
- Full figure bras tend to have fuller bra cups that accommodate and cover more breast tissue than regular brassieres that have shallower cups and offer less coverage.
Goddess bras, Chantelle bras,
and Vanity Fair bras are all excellent full figured types of bras.
- The half bra, sometimes known as a demi bra offers half the coverage of traditional full bras, while exposing the top part of the breast.
Favored for their seductive look,
offer a fair bit of support, though obviously not as much as a full bra.
Half cup bras
are ideal for low cut blouses, tops, sweaters and dresses with a plunging neckline.
- An excellent choice when a smooth shape is needed.
A longline bra is a one piece long brassiere that extends from the breasts to just above the belly button.
Longline bras are designed to slim and shape the midriff for a smooth polished silhouette, and they also offer very good back support.
They are available in both traditional and strapless bra styles.
- Minimizer bras are designed specifically for full breasted women who wear a C cup and higher, and who want their bustline to appear smaller.
Specially molded bra cups compress and reshape breast tissue into a reduced and more flattering, smooth look and shape.
Most minimizer bras offer a visible reduction of one to two bra sizes, depending on the brassiere manufacturer.
- A preteen bra, also called a first bra is a petite bra usually made of cotton with a touch of lycra that caters to smaller sizes and is intended as
lingerie for young teens.
These types of bras
are usually made of stretchy light weight materials and are popular in bright colors and fun designs.
Push Up Bra
are popular cleavage enhancing types of bras that lift and push the breasts together, adding up to a cup size.
Padded push up bras
and their fuller bodied cousin the
push up bustier
are designed with padded molded foam, gel or water inserts that, depending on the
push up bra
style, the inserts can be removable.
- A lingerie drawer must have for summer tank tops and sleeveless shirts.
The racerback bra features back bra straps that curve away from the shoulder blades and remain hidden from view.
This brassiere is also a good choice for women with sloped or narrow shoulders and is very comfortable.
- The sports bra is designed for low, medium and high impact exercise and physical activities from tennis and cycling to walking and running, etc.
Though there are several different types of bras, there are two basic styles. Compression bras minimize breast movement by holding the breasts close to the chest.
Encapsulation bras tend to separate the breasts while providing more support.
- Strapless bras are brassieres without bra straps that are designed for dresses with spaghetti straps, plunging necklines, backless and strapless tops and dresses.
Look for strapless bra styles with a fine line of silicone or rubber on the inner lining for smooth adhesion and a better bra fit.
If wearing tighter fitting clothing, opt for smooth, seamless
strapless push up bra
styles and fabrics that offer a finished look.
- Training bras for young girls are known by a variety of different names including preteen bras, starter bras, bralets and first bras
These brassieres are designed in very small cup sizes for young girls that you may find in the womens lingerie department.
T Shirt Bras
- A t-shirt bra is one of the most popular types of bras available today. It is designed to be virtually invisible under your tight fitting blouses, tops, sweaters, dresses and of course t shirts.
The best bra is a seamless bra that has a stretch or molded cup for a smooth fitted shape and look. A must have for your lingerie drawer.
Related Articles - Brassieres
- are great must have bra accessories that can extend the life of your favorite bras!
Cheap Push Up Bra
- Getting a great deal on push up bras is easy with these tips.
Full Figure Push Up Bra
- Also known as a plus size push up bra, this bra style is designed to enhance the appearance of increased cleavage.
Goddess Sports Bra
- With bra sizes that range from 34D to 48G a Goddess bra offers a great range of sizing options for fuller figured women.
Return to Miracle Bra
What is a Demi Bra?
Leave types of bras and return to the exotic lingerie