*FTC Disclosure - If you make a purchase through a link on this site, we may receive a small commission on the transaction - at no extra cost to you.*
Lingerie Buyers Guide - The Inside Secrets You Need To Know
Lingerie Buyers Guide - Whether it's Valentine's Day, a special anniversary or just because, it's always a great time to buy beautiful lingerie.
From bras and body shapers to camisoles and chemises, regardless if you're buying a gift for someone or yourself, with so many styles to choose from it can be hard to navigate the different choices and what each of them is best for.
Not to worry, we're here to help. Below, we share a snapshot of some of the most popular styles arranged in three categories -
- The Fundamentals
- Specialty Styles
... plus a few tips and tricks that will help you master the exciting world of beautiful lingerie.
Lingerie Buyers Guide - The Fundamentals
The Fundamentals - what are they?
The hard working basics in every lingerie drawer - comfortable bras, camisoles, night gowns, and robes are everyday essentials that are worn on a daily basis - from going to work and working out, to cozying up and shopping till you drop.
These daywear basics are distinguished by the three Cs for a 5 star rating -
- Casual - means no fuss, no muss and easy to wear
- Comfortable - feels like you're not wearing anything
- Coverage - everything that should be covered is hidden from view
- Underwire Bra - a
traditional style with a plastic or metal underwire sewn into the bottom of the bra cups that rests under the
breasts. Underwire bras offer better support than wireless bras
- T Shirt Bras - a popular everyday style that's also great for dressy favorites. A full cup smooth and seamless T shirt bra is designed to wear under t shirts, sweaters, sheer tops and fitted clothing
- Sports Bra - sports bras are designed for your favorite physical activities. They protect the breasts and prevent tissue damage during low and / or high impact physical activities
- Bralette - an easy comfortable choice. Lightweight wirefree bras offer minimal support. They're usually made of stretch cotton, nylon, bamboo, satin or silk
Lingerie Buyers Guide - Fabric Facts
What's the best fabric? If you don't have a specific fabric in mind, choose soft stretchy fabrics in soft cotton and lace with a hint of spandex (for an easier fit), nylon and soft-to-the-touch microfiber.
Womens shapewear and sleep wear are also included in no frill, no
fuss fundamentals. Super soft cozy fabrics with a comfortable stretch are the key to success with these styles.
The bonus - they can be mixed and matched with intimate apparel basics that you already have in your wardrobe:
- Camisole Tops - easy to wear under shirts, tops, and even sleepwear, camis are made of lightweight stretch fabrics like cotton and nylon blended with spandex, and have adjustable shoulder straps
- Bodyshapers - the modern name for foundation undergarments such as girdles and bodysuits, the best full body shaper styles offer a built-in underwire bra and tummy control panel
- Cotton Nightgowns - long or short, this sleepwear essential comes in a variety of popular in colors and prints that change every season
- Sleep Shirts - a relaxed and shorter version of the nightgown, sleepshirts are worn throughout the year and offer a relaxed fit
- Terry Cloth Robes - one of the best at absorbing water, soft knitwear terry robes are designed for comfort and durability. They're a great style for everyday and lounging.
Luxury Lingerie Buyers Guide Favorites
- stunning specialty and luxury lingerie lends a sense of glamor and to
any intimate apparel that you pair it with. Like a one minute miracle
that will knock your socks off, everyday pieces transform into must-have
looks that are simply sensational.
- Silk Chemise - flirty and fabulous, this short sleeveless sleepwear is cut on the "bias" or angle for a beautiful curve hugging look
- Satin Pajamas - also known as "pjs," this well-liked two piece womens sleepwear set consists of a loose fitting long sleeve top and matching trousers
- Cashmere Robes - the ultimate in luxury gifts, a cashmere robe offers an ultra soft lightweight look that is the epitome of high-end warmth
Beautiful Lingerie Favorites
Delicate lace, silk, satin, cashmere and organic fabrics are popular picks that offer a luxurious look and feel.
Lingerie Buyers Guide - Popular Panties
Undies - from modern classic briefs in sensational stretchy microfiber to the sexiest thong underwear in barely there mesh, it's no wonder that panties are a favorite for virtually every occasion.
Dress them up with a luxurious lace bra, garter belt and sheer stockings for a glamorous night on the town. Or, dress them down with a stylish cotton cami for a chic sleek weekend look. The possibilities are endless.
Low Rise Panties - a popular style designed to wear under low rise clothing, these hipster panties sit below the natural waist and offer medium coverage
- Boy Shorts - reminiscent of boys pants, boyshorts are a trendy low rise style, and are the perfect pick for low slung trousers, jeans and skirts. This style provides full coverage
- Thongs - one of the best choices for eliminating visible panty lines (VPL), traditional thongs are high waisted and provide minimal coverage to the derriere. They're great for sheer and seamless pants and skirts
- Bikini Panties - as popular as its swimwear cousin, the bikini panty sits below the hips and natural waist and offers moderate coverage
- Briefs - a lingerie buyers guide classic that many love for their low-key comfort, high-waisted brief panties are a full coverage style that are perfect for everyday wear